Monday, October 3, 2011

Design in Our Lives Reaction

      In this time period, humans have come to the point where they depend on technology. Almost everyone is obsessed with some sort of gadget. However technology and ergonomics have affected us, there is one thing for sure, the impacts made have been constructive. Without these new ideas and designs it wouldn't have been possible to achieve and improve the lives of so many. This is why people all over the world continue to create and expand their ideas, making our everyday lives easier.
      Ergonomics play a big role on the major changes and the new rise of ideas coming foward. Although these devices are meant to bring new changes, their functionalty varies. One particular design that seemed to me of very good use was the "Glow Caps". It's an idea I found to be very brilliant because so many could benefit from this, especially the elderly. The purpose for these special prescription pills is to monitor and allow the prescription to be taken properly. It goes as far as to give the patient a call as a reminder to take their pill. It is highly functional, it's definitely something that serves a grear purpose from children to the elderly.
      The "EyeWriter" was another high functional device that caught my attention and kept me reading once I spot it. It was created for an L.A artist who was left paralyzed throughout his whole body except for his eyes. Rather than being left with nothing to live for anymore but spend the rest of his life in bed, he was given the chance to keep practicing his art through his eyes! Who woud have though such a thing would be possible, but it was and served a purpose in the life of that artist. The device created can be used and even improved for so many others with a similar condition. It's high functionality allows this idea to be considered for future creations that would make it possible to make a significant change in the lives of many more.
      Although I was impressed with many of the ergonomics I observed, there were also several I encountered that really served no purpose at all. One perfect example of a low functionality work would be the "Talk To Yourself Hat". When I saw it I was curious because I've never seen anything like it before and I wondered about it.I realized that it was basically as the name given self explanatory. When I was done readin the discription I though it was pretty awesome because sometimes some people do need their space and privacy. Although I found it to be funny I classified it as a low functionalty creation because I believe I was more focused on the purpose and impact it would have on society rather than on making people laugh.
      The "Call me, Choke me" was another form of device that I found to be of low functionality. This device is supposed to inflict pain if wrapped around the neck. The pain is inflicted whenever the person receives a call, the device will activate even if the person decides not to answer the call. I found the device to be funny but at the same time I didn't feel a could serve a useful purpose in society. However I think with some changes and improvements it probably could. I was thinking maybe it could be of good use if it was used on terorrists.
       Ergonomic can serve a great purpose on society, wether it's to improve the life of someone or the creation of fun and amusing things. I determined my high funtional items on the intentions for their creations. I was looking at how these ergonomic devices could progress our society as a whole. The low functionalty items were classified as such because although they were funny and intresting, to me their purpose didn't serve a great purpose for society.



David Rose
"Glow Caps"
2010

TEMPT1 & Theo Watson
"EyeWriter"
2009

Kate Hartman
"Talk to Yourself Hat"
2006

Gunnar Green
Call me, Choke me
2008

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to learn about ergonomic because help us to learn about human anatomic funtions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ergonomic has two specific functions, one is productivity and the other is health and all the designers that you chose have these functions. Why do you chose these?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela,
    I found your comment about using "Call Me, Choke Me" on terrorists very fun and interesting. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete