Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Brooklyn Museum Reaction

       My experience in The Brooklyn Museum was a pleasant one. As soon as I entered I realized it was a really big museum, bigger than the ones I had attended. As we were all walking to find our section I found out I was going to really like it because it had a lot of art that I was intrested in. Art that I personally find intresting and probably most of all I understand. As a class we went through three special exhibits. I found the three to be highly interesting, and I found myself not to be in a hurry to leave.
       One of the exhibits we visited was "Sanford Biggers: Sweet Funk-An Introspective". When I entered the space where his work was placed, I soon realized it was an artist whom I was a bit familiar with because we had seen his work in the MoMa Museum. I was instantly drawn to the tall tree with a  big piano basically right on top of it. It was named Blossom, and I felt the name fit the piece of work perfectly. I found it capturing because the piano was programmed to play a song, and it was a song that kind of forced you to stop and listen and absorb the surroundings. This art was set up by an African american and he tries to portray the lynching that was once imposed on african americans. This work of art to me most definitley defines a personal identity. This is because Sanford Biggers as an african american is more aware of the racism towards people of color. The piano according to the information on the wall was supposed to represent the broken body of a human who had been lynched. The symobols he used to represent his identity were pretty clever to me.
       The next exhibit we went to was the "Youth and Beauty: Art of the American Twenties". This is the kind of art that really attracts my attention. This particular exhibit was supposed to represent modern realism. These artists we focused on the changes that society was undergoing leading to the aftermath of the Great War and  the Great Depression. One particular work of art that captured my attention even though I really fell in love with almost all the ones this exhibit was the The Amazon. This is an identity of women in a moment in Amercia society where their role was purely glamour. This to me represented both the personal identity as well as the identity of culture. At that moment in time women had to and at some extent continue to present themselves in a manner of glamour and beauty in movies and television. I found it to be a compelling work of art because many women can identify to it and it is an identity we continue to see day to day. It is an identity that women all over aim for.
       The last exhibit we encountered was that of "Timothy Greenfield Sanders: The Latino List". This without a doubt represents alot of elements of personal identity. The type of personal identity meant to be portrayed is the success of a latino in the american socitey. I identified myself with every single latino in those photographs because I am a latino living in amercia. However the portait that I identified myself with the most was Eva Longoria because like her I am also mexican. This exhibit explores the success and latinos in the US who are influential in so many aspects. They range from singerst to actresses and even an atronaut. Without any doubt it focuses on the identity of the hispanics. The time is significant because our society is progressing for the better, both for a specific race and for the community they reside in.
       The different types of identities portrayed in these three exhibits were very significant. It brings out the feelings of humanity. It represents that past and at the same time the changes in progress in the american society. I loved all three exhibits, they really did an amazing job capturing my attention and really letting the viewer fall in love with the meaning of identity they worked so hard to transmitt to the viewer. It was an incredible experience.

Sanford Biggers
"Blossom"
2007

Joseph Stella
"The Amazon"
1925-26

Timothy Greenfield Sanders
"Eva Longoria"
2011

  

No comments:

Post a Comment